(please also refer to Ford Chantry and Ford Manor below) Tithe No. 1
Ford Farm lies at the eastern edge of the parish, next to the ruings of the water grist mill.
1656 a Deed poll by John Brent mentions the farmhouse.
1750-1768 The rent rolls show that Elizabeth Chapman was the freeholder of Ford Farm.
13.03.1764 The House and Mill are mentioned in a counterpart lease in reversion of Mary Cullen to William Crossman, miller, and his wife Mary. "dwelling house and water grist mill lying at Bawdrip on the life of Mary Crossman (w) aged 30 years, or thereabouts. Fine £15, rent 16s, heriot £1. All that dwelling house, wategrist mill, outhouses, barkside, garden and orchard on the east side of the stream. lying on the North Coninger Close, part of Fordd Farm in the parish of Bawdrip, in the possession of William Cullen, miller deceased, and late in the possession of Mary Cullen, but now in possession of William Corssman and Philip Latchmore, yeoman of Stawell (Trustees)."
Presumably the Cullens were tenanting the farm from Elizabeth Chapman. Ford Water grist mill howere is recorded in 1553 - although it may be much earlier as it is mentioned in 1338 "William Atte Mill witnessed a deed of land at Ford". The mills went out of use in 1861.
10.03.1779 newly erected line kilm adjacent to Ford Farm.
1792 Richard Reynolds is the freeholder and the farm is occupied by James Dawbin. Dawbin also occupied "Corrmans" which would refer to the mill building.
9.5.1816 Will of Richard Reynolds. Farm occupied at that time by James Collins. Property left to Richard's daughter, Hannah Mary Rathbone, his grandson William Rathbone and nephew Richard Ball.
24.8.1840 Lease and release Richard Rathbone and Thomas Short of Wembdon and Thomas Clark jnr of Bridgwater to Edward Hurman and Ambrose Lace.
1840 Farm sold to Thomas Short, Tenant E Edwards.
1841 tithe award and census Joseph Edward aged 55, tenant farmer; wife Dinah, aged 45; and children Joseph, William George, Louisa and Samuel John. Servant Elizabeth Clark. Owner Thomas Short.
1851 census Thomas Hurman, aged 35, farmer of 240 acres; wife Jane, aged 41; son Thomas 10, daughter Mary, aged 9. Servants Sarah Dyer, aged 22 and Richard Batter aged 22.
1861 census Thomas Hurman, aged 45, farmer of 260 acres; wife Jane, aged 51; children Thomas 20, Mary 19 and Henry Reynolds aged 22. Owner Revd A J Bradney.
1871 census Thomas Hurman jnr, aged 29, farmer of 176 acres; wife Mary, aged 23; daughter Mary, aged 3. Servants Emma Moore and George Gilbert. Owner Revd A J Bradney.
1881 census Thomas Hurman jnr aged 40, farmer of 166 acres; wife Mary, aged 33. Servants Elizabeth Jennings aged 25 and William Newman aged 17. Owner Revd A J Bradney.
By 1885 John Collings jnr is the tenant and is still recorded as the tenant in 1902.
Present day the farm has been in the hands of the Warren family since 1926. In the grounds are several interesting items of industrial archaeology. The road from the farm up to the A39 was originally a private entrance to the farm. The present Ford farmhouse has been rebuilt and the Mill House was probably the original farmhouse.
The Chantry at Ford
Take the lane from Ford Farm heading to Stawell and just as you approach the outskirts of Stawell the field on the right is where Ford Chantry was located.
In 1305 Sir Adam de la Ford founded a little church with a chantry, which had lately been built at Ford. He endowed it with 50 acres of arable land and 4 acres of meadow.
In 1440 the chantry had passed to the Brent family through the marriage of Clarice de la Ford.
In 1536 the Chantry was surveyed and its worth recorded as follows "Yerely worth of the Chantry at Ford taken on Henry VIII;s command. One tenement or burgage in Stowell within the Parish of Murlynche leten to Richard Brent and other for the term of their lyves 16s8d. No plate or ornament recorded. John Peope was the clerk, then aged 65. The parsonage there is of yearly value xvili. The said John Popewell is incumbent who findeth one person to preside under him to serve. Partakers of the Lord's Supper there 58 persons." One of the surveyors carrying out this inventory was Robert Carye, gent.
In 1547 came the surpression of the Chantries, a consequence of which the little church at Ford was despoiled and left to fall into ruin.
An excavation, undertaken in 1998 by the Bridgwater Archaeological Society, has also identified this as the possible site of Ford Manor.
The Manor at Ford
1300 "Adam de la Ford had a dwelling at Ford", subsequently described as a manor house in 1326 and 1330.
1325 Adam de la Ford died and the manor was left to his widow, Christian, and their son Adam.
Adam and Henry (brothers) both died before 1346 and Ford passed to the Brent family through the marriage of Sir Robert de Brent to Clarice de la Ford in 1309, the daughter and heir of Adam de la Ford.
1421 Robert Brent died and left the Manor to his sister (in law) Joan Trethek who was married to John. The Manor continued in this family until 1552 when Richard Brent was "declared an idiot" having settled Ford on the intended marriage of his infant daughter Ann with Robert Broughton. The marriage did not take place and in 1564 Ann married Thomas Paulett. For a period of 1508 to 1650 it became part of Bawdrip Manor.
1586 Thomas Paulett died and the Manor passed to Ann's daughter Elizabeth Paulett who was married to Giles Hoby.
After 1589 the Manor passed to John Brent.
1614 John Brent died and was succeeded by his son John (born 1612 and died 2.7.1658 without issue).
1692 Mary Brent, widow of John, took possession. The Brent's kinsman and heir John Hodges died in 1696 and left the reversion to his wife Elizabeth.
20.6.1696 there is an indenture between John Hodges and John Langford.
1709 after Mary Brent's death, Elizabeth Hodges leased the Manor to Robert West who was followed by Samuel West.
1756 Samuel West died.
1767 Sarah West, probably the widow of Samuel, held the Manor
26.10.1702 indenture between George Hodges and Elizabeth Hodges
10.08.1703 Lease and release Elizabeth Hodges to Robert West
30.07.1704 agreement between Sharrington Hodges and Robert West
30.08.1704 agreement between Thomas Douse, Sharrington Hodges, Robert West and William Langford
30.07.1708 Indenture Nicholas Goldsborough and his wife, Bridget; Catherine Goldsborough; and Robert Goldsborough to Elizabeth Hodges, widow
01.08.1723 Indenture lease and release between Richard and Sarah West
24.11.1765 Will of Sarah West
24.11.1765 Will of Edmund Hoskins, beneficiary of Sarah West
11.6.1776 Lease and release ¼ share Benjamin Allen 1st part, Joshua Wright 2nd part, Thomas Tucker 3rd part and William Chamberlain 4th part; purchased by Benjamin Allen.
1779 sold to the Quaker philanthropist Richard Reynolds
11.03.1779 leased to John Wright
23.6.1796 lease and release Richard Reynolds to John Wright to Jeffreys Allen of the 1st part and James Parsons of the 2nd part
11.10.1798 deed poll John Giles of Mark, William Cojnsell of Mark, Francis Adam Stradling of Chedzoy to Richard Reynolds
1816 Richard Reynolds dies
1826 Hannah, Richard daughter, widow of William Rathbone settled the Manor on her son Richard
1840 Richard Rathbone to Thomas Short
1843 Thomas Short conveyed part to Anna Gatcombe (of Gatcombe House, North Petherton) and the remainder to John Hopkins
1849 and 1852 the Manor was mortgaged
After 1856 the Manor was sold to J Bradney and held with Bradney Manor.
There is no indication of when the manor house went into disuse. The Manor, therefore, includes Ford Farm, but this was not the site o