The Little House
The smallest house, aka The Fish House, Grade II Listed
Of blue lias construction with one room downstairs and one room up.
In 1836 listed as a shop which was run by Richard and Charles Crocker, owned by John Crocker. We assume the shop was a cobbler’s shop as this was the profession of both Richard and Charles.
In the 1841 Tithe Award and the 1881 census no-one was listed as either occupier or owner.
In 1924 it was recorded in the Poor Rate as being “uninhabitable” and the rate was paid by Bill Conduit of Rose Cottage. However, early deeds for Rose Cottage show that this building did not form part of that property. It may be that as Mr Conduit paid the poor rate on the property he then became the owner by default. No earlier information has come to light. There is a story that the last person to live there was a tall man who had to come outside to put on his hat and coat. Unfortunately, the building is now in quite a poor state of repair. This building is sometimes referred to as The Fish House, although we have no idea why.
In 2007 the owners started to restore The Little House.
Information researched and supplied by Suzie Lewis in the 1990’s