Bawdrip History & Archive Group
The group has decided to:
- hold monthly or bi-monthly sessions usually on the third Thursday in the month
- arrange for other speakers (two or three have offered to do this)
- Everyone was encouraged to look through the research that had already been achieved and is on the bawdrip website - History
The broad aims are:
Who we are
Bawdrip History & Archive Group (BHAG) will be a non-profit-making, village community project run by volunteer residents.
What we do
The primary function of the archive is to collect and preserve documents and material reflecting the life and times of our villages and their heritage. This to include old photographs, documents, archaeological objects, audio recordings or any other interesting items.
BHAG aims to achieve this by:
Actively seeking old photographs, documents or interesting items so that the group can copy or photograph them. Holding Information on a computer-based archive as a permanent record for the village and a resource for further research, use in exhibitions and for display on-line.
· Providing access to this information by everyone through a variety of means including the internet.
· Producing regular articles on aspects of the history of Bawdrip. The previously collected photographs held in the archive have been produced as a DVD,
· Organising exhibitions in Bawdrip, drawing on material collected in the archive and also displaying the latest original research undertaken.
· Agreeing planned areas of research which could to include "Bawdrip at War", "Business and Trade" and "Village Personalities". Members of the group will research material for these themes.
· Holding periodic events to be held in the Parish Hall at which an invited speaker will talk on a topic of local interest.
Holding a “Preserving our Village Past Day” to encourage anyone with old photographs, documents, archaeological objects or interesting items to bring them so that the group can copy or photograph them. There will be a slideshow and a display of some of the items the group has already collected.
The archive itself will be housed in a suitable location yet to be established. Public access to the archive store is not feasible at present this is to be investigated.
The Archive catalogue is expected to include
Village Timeline & brief outline history
Maps and Enclosure
Streets – profiles of individual streets
Church and chapels
History of village pubs
Old photos and postcards
Reminiscences: Memories of the village
Famous people of Bawdrip
Family Trees of local families
So get involved
If you have an interest in local history and would like to get involved with Bawdrip History & Archive Group, then we'd love to hear from you.
We're also always very interested to hear from anyone who may have something to contribute to the group’s archive of material and memories. So if you have an old photograph of the local area which you'd like to share with others or perhaps some old document or other item which you feel may be of interest, again, please do get in touch with us.
Come and join us and help us with our aims